Nope. You did not read the title if this post incorrectly. We almost bought an eight room b&b located right outside of St. Petersburg, Florida but at the last minute we decided to rescind our offer because the financing seemed a bit too risky.
But let's back up a minute...
Kevin and I have long talked about us owning a hotel eventually. He is passionate about hospitality and although I don't necessarily share that same passion, I have a lot of experience in the industry and dream one day of being able to brand and design something of our own.
This past January, during the endlessly grey winter in Seattle, Kevin sunk into a bit of depression (unhappy with work, always a little on edge, envious of people doing their own thing), which is strange because he is generally a very positive person. The winter months are really tough here, really tough. For days out of the year, it barely seems light outside. Sure, there is also the rain but it's that constant darkness that sneaks into your soul and steals your sunshine.
So we started doing some research as to where we wanted to go next as we pretty much agreed another winter in Seattle was improbable. We had been to Florida visiting family last November and had casually been looking at hotels for sale in the area. There are so many and they are all sooo bad. Poorly run, unkept and void of any service or charm (think seashells and dolphins, BLAH). Everywhere you look on the West Coasts, cute little b&b's are popping up, airbnb is allowing us to peak into some drool worthy spaces and restaurant an retail design is pretty much awesome. So why not Florida?
Enter my in-laws. Maybe their motive to get us down there is two-fold (hello grandkids) but they started helping us look at spaces while Kevin and I researched the market. We fell in love with an oceanfront mansion turned b&b, fell in love, hired a lawyer, made an offer, got rejected, made another offer, offer was accepted-we looked for financing (not easy), found financing and then after reading the fine print, got cold feet and rescinded.
I felt depressed for the next two days. All that happened in about two-three months. The hardest part of the emotional rollercoaster of buying a place like that is that there is just so much waiting and not knowing if you should sign your kid up for summer camp or put a deposit down for preschool. When do we quit our jobs? What do I do if my projects aren't finished by the time we are supposed to leave,? When do we put our house on the market? It's brutal.
After the initial depression of coming so close and not actually holding the keys in our hands in the end went away, clarity soon followed and we realized we had made the right decision for us. It was such a learning experience and we can't wait to start hitting the pavement again in search of the one. This time, we will be there in person, find those pockets that would embrace our story and be more sure of what we are getting ourselves into.
I have to admit that although I tried to not get overly attached to the idea of designing this one, I couldn't stop myself and started a pinterest board. I fell in love with the idea of doing something kitschy in the powder room and fell down a rabbit hole of toile wallpaper. Sort of obsessed right now.